When it comes to makeup, women are constantly being pulled in all directions. While the makeup at the drugstores is far cheaper than those in the department stores, it is hard to know which is worth the splurge, and which will be just as good at low prices. For frugal ladies, saving often times takes priority over the splurge, but sometimes higher prices for longer lasting and better quality makeup can be worth the extra dough.
Here are eight tips on how to know when to save and when to splurge on your favorite beauty products.
1. Save on Lip Color: Lip gloss and Lipstick made by both department store brands and drugstores have been tested and show that the same amount of active ingredients is used in each. Therefore, these products are comparable in ingredients and quality, and only differ in their high price. Save your money and buy Revlon lipstick or lip-gloss instead.
2. Save on Mascara: Mascara is a product that does not have a long shelf-life. Therefore, it is recommended to save your money since you will be tossing it out in only a matter of months anyhow. Drugstore brands, such as Max Factor and Maybelline, have been tested and prove to stand up to the long last and long-lash look you want from your next tube. Don’t be afraid to be frugal with this buy.
3. Save on Eye Liner: This is another product that usually gets used up quickly enough that it does not need higher quality ingredients to still work well. While the department store brands may use more raw ingredients, the drugstore brands have proven in tests to use just as good of ingredients that can withstand long hours and heavy activity. Covergirl eyeliner is a favorite. It goes on smooth and lasts throughout the day without smudging or smearing.
4. Splurge on Eye Shadow: High end brands are known for using more raw materials in their makeup than less expensive brands. MAC is by far one of the most popular choices for eye shadows. Not only do they use higher quality ingredients that allow the color to stay on for longer, but they also have a wide selection of colors to choose from so you can always find the perfect fit for your eyes. Saving on eye shadow, however, is ok if you simply want to try a trendy color that you do not plan to use as often.
5. Splurge on Foundation: Foundation is the first thing you apply to your skin after you wash it. Therefore, the purity in the ingredients is important. It is also the layer that will take the most beating throughout the day as it covers the most amount of skin. Therefore, splurging on your foundation is a good idea. Not only will higher quality foundation stay on looking great for longer, but it will also help keep outside radicals from attacking your beautiful skin. I recommend Clinique as this brand has the strongest focus on healthy skin.
6. Splurge on Blush: Similar to foundation, this is a product that will stay close to your skin throughout the day. Therefore, having a great hue that can protect your skin from outside agents and also work to keep you healthy and beautiful at the same time is worth the extra money. Because this product has a longer shelf-life, using higher quality will make it last longer and work harder for you. For blush, I recommend Bare Minerals because of the high quality of ingredients used.
7. Save on Nail Polish: Nail polish is a product that not only has a shorter shelf life but the trendy colors change almost monthly making it necessary to switch bottles frequently. For this reason, head to your local drugstore and save some cash on the seasons latest looks for your nails. We recommend Sally Hansen as they have the best reputation for not chipping and lasting you for longer.
8. Save on the Lip Liner: Just as with the lipstick, lip-gloss and eyeliner, you want to save on this type of makeup. It has been shown that most pencil lip liners come from the same factory so their quality is comparable. Wet and Wild has the best selection of colors with the highest quality at the best price.
On your next trip to the department store, try not get sucked in by the lavish displays. Instead, purchase only the necessary make-up that stays closest to your skin, and save on everything else. But of course, it is always healthy to have that well deserved splurge once in awhile. Happy shopping!
Guest Author Bio: Ferina Santos is part of the team behind Open Colleges, Australia’s provider of great beauty training courses. A feisty, 20 year-old nerd at heart with an obsession for vanity, she captures all her random musings with daily photographs in her blog, A Pink Banana. When not online, she can be found reading a book or riding with her horses, while fantasizing she’s a real-life Khaleesi.